Thursday, December 08, 2005

Snow shark!



More of these wonderful things here.

No, that's not the most preoccupying thought in my head at the moment (that would be Saturday's anxiety-inducing party, with attendant fountain activity), but it'll do for now.

Something I was thinking of recently:

While living in London in the early 1990s, I came across several things which appeared quaint, many which seemed advanced, and some of which were brilliant but utterly unlikely to ever appear in the U.S. These latter included:

1) Galaxy and Cadbury bars (subhead: Those little Christmas-era baskets of samplers, called "Promises" and suchlike)
2) Prepaid phone cards
3) Train notifications in the subway
4) OK! magazine
5) Use of slang like "shite" and "sketchy" and so forth in regular non-Brit conversation

Anyway, so much for my predictor status. All of those are here now. I just find it interesting that Britain was ahead of the technologically-advanced (achem) U.S. in various important (well, OK! Magazine aside) ways.

Boy, I gotta get back over there.

No comments: