Thursday, November 10, 2005

I Mess With Texas, Part 2



Clearly, this is going to be easier than I thought.

3) Neal Pollack is leaving Austin.

Though we only ever shared an email or two (he was whinging on his blog about not getting enough freelance, I contacted to see if we could work something out, he then got a gig -- which apparently is now taking him to LA), having someone with his attitude and smarts and cool factor was always a big plus. I could actually say I "knew" someone there. (Heh.) And now, he's going. In part, he says:

(L)ast night's election had nothing to do with my decision to leave Austin and move to Los Angeles, which was made months ago, but I certainly feel glad about my decision today....

He then notes:

Texas is largely misunderstood by the rest of the country. It's far more cosmpolitan, well-educated, and sophisticated than people might think, given the corrupt religious hypocrites it's sent onto the national stage in recent years. But because of those hypocrites, if anyone is going to fully audition the radical right's loony social agenda, it will be the government of this state. Today, someone said to me, "at least you don't live in Kansas." True enough. But who's to say that in 10 years, when my son is preparing to enter high school, the schools here won't be teaching "intelligent design" as well? I'm not taking that risk with my family.

A-fuckin'-men. My poor niece.

No comments: