Monday, May 23, 2005

Hands across the ocean — shake or wave?

So, because I have an inability to just let things rest, I have now gone and stuck a stick in a place that was, so far as I knew, fairy stable.

It's a completely self-indulgent gesture, but knowing that I have a hard time not knowing all the gory details about a thing, I've long wanted to find out the answer here. So last night I sent off a brief email to a total stranger to confirm he was who I thought he was.

And got an immediate email back this morning confirming it -- but from a different email address. A little hostile, even: "Why do you ask? Who are you?" they wrote back. I've since replied.

More details as this progresses. The way I see it is this: The hotter the teapot grows, the larger the uncovered tempest is. If it all just is a big shrug, then there was nothing worth wondering about in the first place. Based on that one responded-to email, I put this tempest at a 7 of 10 (with 10 being explosive).

My big concern is that this total stranger will now contact people I have known before ... and it could get ugly.

My bigger concern is that he never writes back.

Oh, I guess I am a big drama queen when all's said and dne.

No comments: