Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Various and Sundry, May Edition



In no particular order.

No. 1
For some reason, text in my Firefox browser is completely messing with my life. The cursor just doesn't land in front of the individual letter, and if I ever make a mistake and have to double back, I can never find the right spot. Oh, Lord, how can I make it stop. Life is hard on me, I know.

No. 2
T-shirts I want, or want to make for friends:
"I love my country. I want it back."
"Sorry? Sorry don't feed the bobcat!"
"Is it a date?"
Reference - last night's dinner conversation at the Blue Fin, wherein two adult women and men had a heated and heatedly amused discussion on what defines a date. Result: Agreement to a specific place and time on both sides of the issue. The latter had to be included because one of the men said "so if I plan to go home at a specific time and spend it with my couch, is that a date?"

These are men's issues.

As for the second one, don't even ask. Long story. Quote from a cop. Seriously.

As for the first, saw it on the T-shirt the female icon wears here. The T-shirts rotate, so you might not see it right away.

No. 3
This is pathetic.

Hirsi Ali is a woman who fled an arranged marriage in Somalia and became not just a Dutch MP, but an outspoken, courageous representative of women's rights, specifically Muslim women's rights.

(A side note here, which is neither original nor deep but continues to irk me. The theory in Islam, as I understand it, of the women having to be covered up is that their bodies, their hair, their very physical representation, is a temptation to men. The same people who run the world. Who are physically stronger (in most cases; ask me about the Amazon Hurricane one time). Who are (some would say) intellectually superior. Who have a "right" to the world.

But show 'em some hair or leg, and they're just uncontrollable. Unable to have any responsibility for their actions.

If this is the case, I feel they really shouldn't be running the world. I mean, even these weak vessels of women are only considered dangerous once a month, for about a week. Clearly, men have an ongoing weakness that cannot be restrained, and they should be put away for their own good. Or, at least, their eyes should always be covered in front of women.

Who came up with this moronic, contradictory, illogical system? Oh, wait ... men?)

But I digress. Anyway, Hirsi Ali now has to leave the Netherlands because she lied on her asylum application. Which she says everyone already knew anyway; this is merely the pretext. It has become harder to protect her (harder = more costly) from extremists who want her dead for speaking out.

So, she is (most likely) coming to the U.S. Lord, I hope we can care for her better. Even if the hashish isn't legal here. And by "care for" I mean, not permit her to be killed.

But my one question is this: Why is she coming to work for a conservative think tank?

Note: Wikipedia, however questionably, indicates it may not be quite that conservative.

No. 4
Someone in my office is making smelly odors. I don't know if I would quite call them gaseous. But they are frickin' close. And it's very annoying. Silent, but deadly.

But not this deadly, mercifully.

No. 5
What happens when white Christians are told they'll be the minority in the population sooner than later?

a) threaten birth control / women's rights to their own bodies
b) close the borders
c) haul out the old classics about every other religion aside from Christianity. And don't worry, Catholics, they'll be after you soon enough. (Links too numerous to include here.)

Does that about sum up the news of late?

The discussion over religion, contraception, and immigration is not unconnected, folks. Again, probably not an original thought here. It stems from a largely unexpressed fear of the dark man taking over, and perhaps deciding to play by the same rules whites have used for centuries. That is, the unfair ones.

It is coming. The question is how much apartheid we'll accept before there is civil unrest, or even war. I sense both are coming, and that the idea of living in a pluralistic society is on the wane, whether we like it or not. The same gonzo doofuses telling women to cover their shit up are also the ones running this country, too.

No comments: