Saturday, February 18, 2006

I Mess With Texas, Part 9



Woot! One Texas Mess to go before we hit double digits!

The nice thing is, sometimes these things just write themselves:
Houston eyes cameras at apartment complexes

HOUSTON -- Houston's police chief on Wednesday proposed placing surveillance cameras in apartment complexes, downtown streets, shopping malls and even private homes to fight crime during a shortage of police officers.

"I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?" Chief Harold Hurtt told reporters Wednesday at a regular briefing.

(More at the link.)

Can we really be surprised that this is being proposed in Texas? Here's hoping Chief Hurtt (man, what a great name) volunteers to go first. Because, you know, he's not doing anything wrong.

Sometimes you miss the old days when red-staters were more about getting the guv'mnt outta private lives, rather than finding new ways to syringe it in.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Let me say that you need not be doing things wrong to resist government surveillance, however I do many things wrong, so I'm glad I live in Dallas where something like this could never happen...oh wait...

Randee said...

Heh. Small pockets of rationality in such a sea of confusion ... nice to hear from you!