Sunday, January 22, 2006

Matters of grave importance ... elsewhere



Not that I condone corporal punishment for children. (As a rule. There are exceptions. Oh, boy are there exceptions.) But when I saw this story, I had to say something.

**snark!**

Okay, okay. It is amusing to see one of the great news services of the world giving so much time and energy to the cause of smacking. And the BBC have done a marvelous job of giving this the full 360-degree treatment. Not only is there a video:



But there are links so you can get the view around the world -- and from experts. Thank God they called in the experts!


America has a lot to live up to, compared with the BBC. (I mean that sincerely; I listen to BBC Worldwide every morning on WNYC.) But then there are these ... diversions.

Of course, in America the story would be completely different:

No comments: